Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's in a Name?

This is a fun site just sent to me by my friend Mary. Click here to find out the history behind your first name.

Hopefully yours will be more exciting than mine! If you learn anything cool, leave in a comment for me. Otherwise I will just be typing in random names until I find something more amusing than the Olde English version of Kimberly! I may have to re-write mine so it's more interesting.

KIMBERLY
Gender: Feminine

Usage: English

Pronounced: KIM-bər-lee [key]

From the name of the city of Kimberley in South Africa, which was named after Lord Kimberley (1826-1902), whose surname meant "CYNEBURGA's field" in Old English. The city came to prominence in the late 19th century during the Boer War. Kimberly has been used as a given name since the mid-20th century, eventually becoming very popular as a feminine name.

3 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

That was fun, thanks.
I like having a foundation of "Valiant".
This was a good diversion for a broken heart...need to try and live up to that~
KK

KimberlyRies said...

Sorry that you are going through a sad time right now KK. Just left you a comment on your blog.

Unknown said...

I agree that was fun! I did the random name generator, my new alias is Carmelita Dragoslav! :) Isn't that great??

LOL
Carmen