Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ice Ice Baby

Here are some images from our ice/snow storm last week. There were about 200,000 people without power in Louisville and over 800,000 across the state of Kentucky. Our power went off Tuesday night and didn't return until late Saturday night. It was 47 degrees in our house! I learned a lot from the experience as my husband was in Detroit the first 2 days of not having power. I learned how to light our gas fireplace (which we had not used in years) and hook up and start a generator. We traded off amenities with our neighbors. They had a gas stove and made us grilled cheese sandwiches and soup and we had hot water so they could take a hot shower.
The governor is saying it's the worst natural disaster to ever hit the State of Kentucky. Second worst was the wind storm from Hurricane Ike last September. We also lost power then for about a week. That's when we were fortunate enough to get a generator. But back in September it wasn't as cold, which made this outage a lot worse. Hotels were booked and most people had to stick it out at their home. Several people died from carbon monoxide poisoning from generators running in their garage or using gas stoves or grills inside their house to keep warm. Very sad.

These pictures were taken around our back yard. The damage was everywhere across Louisville from downed wires and tree limbs, and often much worse than what I found in our yard. But then again, I tried to mostly take pictures of things that were artistic and pretty.




6 comments:

Kyfarmlife said...

Hey there! Guess what! We are still without power here in Hardin Co....they said we were hit harder than most counties! Man its been awful! Luckily the third day we were able to get a generator frm a friend who works are Sears! And we had the wood stove to keep us warm and a grill to cook our food! But the bad part is...my whole family has been at my house for a week now, and I'm loosing patience! LOL  I cant wait to post my pics! I m gonna try here in a min...i'm at panera bread and they have wifi, so if I can get my pics to upload I'll post them...we had whole trees uprooted, limbs breaking, and hot wire fencing just snapping! Stop over I'll write all about it in a min! Glad your power is back on..Thank the Lord for generators!!! LOLRachel

Lori Anderson Designs said...

Call me crazy, but I love snow! I love all those pictures!

(Of course -- loving snow COULD have something to do with a)I work at home, and b)my hubby has to drive an hour each way, which means if it snows, HE stays home and I get to sleep in late!)

ChezChani said...

I think you should print up those lovely tree pics and frame them. I hope you are getting through ok, my fingers are crossed for you!

jeweledrabbit said...

I think it's amazing that you could find some beauty in the midst of this disaster.

KimberlyRies said...

Thanks for the comments. Rachel I hope your life is getting back into order. I bet that was rough with no power and everyone crowded in your house for the wood stove. It's amazing what we take for granted and then figure out ways to improvise. I heard in some parts of the state that the Amish were helping folks out with cooking, oil lamps, etc. Interesting!

A Beaded Affair said...

Love all the ice pictures. So beautiful and so much trouble. Hope everyone has thawed out a bit by now.
Lois
http://www.abeadedaffair.com